Who Should Participate?
- Community college instructors who want to engage colleagues in building a Reading Apprenticeship campus community
- Instructors who currently teach a class where they can continue to deepen their use of Reading Apprenticeship routines
- Instructors who have a team of colleagues to work with who have also begun to implement Reading Apprenticeship in their teaching
- Prerequisite: Participants must have completed a 3-day Reading Apprenticeship seminar or the 30-hour online 101 course
Goals for this course include:
- Deepening classroom implementation of Reading Apprenticeship, with a focus on supporting student-centered, text-based Metacognitive Conversation with subject area texts
- Facilitating colleagues’ Reading Apprenticeship implementation through inquiry protocols and leading from practice
- Developing authentic advocacy of Reading Apprenticeship for varied audiences
- Collaborating with campus colleagues to develop plans moving toward a three-year vision for campus-wide literacy improvement
Activities include professional reading and responding, viewing video clips and responding, and practicing and reporting on your application of key Reading Apprenticeship routines and ideas. Your culminating activity is to present an introduction to Reading Apprenticeship to a group of people at your campus who are new to Reading Apprenticeship and then report back on the experience. You will prepare for this presentation iteratively throughout the course.
The 10-week course is designed to be completed in approximately 50 hours—about 5 hours per week.
Dates and Registration Information
This course will be scheduled TBA in Fall 2014.
If you hope to take this course in the 2014-15 year, please consider applying for a Team Scholarship with others from your campus. Return your completed 2014_New_Team_Scholarship_App by April 1, 2014 to Nika Hogan at firstname.lastname@example.org.