Read about the successful launch of the 2012-13 Leadership Community of Practice (LCoP) in Reading Apprenticeship.
Who Should Participate
The Leadership Community of Practice (LCoP) in Reading Apprenticeship is a training-of-trainers experience that prepares faculty to lead professional development in Reading Apprenticeship at their own colleges. Participants must have completed a 3-Day seminar in Reading Apprenticeship and/or the online course Reading Apprenticeship for Community College Instructors, and must be able to show evidence of their efforts to incorporate RA into their classroom instruction. It is highly recommended that faculty join the LCoP in campus pairs or teams.
- Deepen their learning about how to engage students and colleagues in collaborative inquiry about their varied reading processes, fostering discipline-specific “metacognitive conversation” in classrooms and professional learning communities.
- Deepen their understanding of Reading Apprenticeship™ as an instructional framework and improve their skills for implementing the framework in classrooms and in professional development with colleagues.
- Learn to help other faculty across the disciplines make the complex, invisible processes they use as readers visible to students, helping them develop reading expertise in specific disciplines.
- Learn to help other faculty make changes in their classroom practice, building on students’ strengths as readers and learners, and providing students greater access to text for learning in the content areas, all of which result in increased student engagement and efficacy in reading to learn through
- Reading and discussion of Reading Apprenticeship™ professional development research and theoretical foundations
- Practice facilitating RA professional development modules within a supportive community of peers;
- Ongoing phone and online “coaching” and collaboration with other CoP members.
- Design and get feedback on an implementation plan to disseminate Reading Apprenticeship at their college.
The two-part institute comprises six days of face-to-face professional development: a four-day Summer Institute and a two-day Annual Reading Apprenticeship Winter Conference early the following calendar year.
- Four-Day Institute
June 23-26, 2014, WestEd Office, Oakland, CA
- Two-Day Annual Conference
To be determined: Winter 2015
- Ongoing phone and online coaching and collaboration with other CoP members
Monthly: Dates and times to be determined by teams
The cost of $3,500 per participant includes:
- 6 days of professional development
- Comprehensive set of course materials:
The new second edition of our best-selling book, Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms
- Student and classroom case study videos
- Facilitators’ guides for video cases and other key professional development practices
- Binder of training materials and reproducible resources
- Binder of readings
- Membership in an active online discussion group with access to download updated training materials and other resources
- Lunches and continental breakfasts
Note: Lodging and travel are not included, but group rates at selected local hotels are available.
Scholarships are available for the 2014-15 year!
Return your completed 2014_New_Team_Scholarship_App by April 1, 2014 to Nika Hogan at firstname.lastname@example.org.